title

title

Thursday 3 January 2019

Game 282: Elara2 vs Gearhart


Game 282 – Vs Mark Williams – Crucible Guard – 1/12/18

My list:
Elara, Death's Shadow (Shadows of the Retribution)
-Siren
-Siren
-Chimera
-Aspis
Arcanist Mechanik
Max Mage Hunter Infiltrators
Max Mage Hunter Infiltrators
-Eiryss, Mage Hunter Commander
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Commander
Max Mage Hunter Strike Force
-Commander
Spears of Scyrah

His List:
Marshal General Baldwin Gearhart (Magnum Opus)
-Aurum Ominus Alyce Marc
-Vulcan
Crucible Guard Mechanik
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
Trancer
Combat Alchemists
Min Crucible Guard Rocketmen
-Crucible Guard Rocketman Captain
-Rocketman Gunner
-Rocketman Gunner
-Rocketman Gunner
Max Crucible Guard Storm Troopers
Dragon’s Breath Rocket
Dragon’s Breath Rocket
Railless Interceptor

Second round and my second Mark, this time Mr Williams with his new and superbly painted Crucible Guard. Although I’m 0-2 into CG with Elara2 I’ve felt well in both games so decide to give it another shot, this time against Gearhart as opposed to Syvestro, which at least means he has to be a bit more wary of my ranged assassination. I win the first turn and we get moving.

Everything runs up with Scything Touch being put on a Spear and Elara Teleporting to get some extra threat up the table.



Once again I prove myself to be world champion of giving Trancers turn 1 charges, and lose one Strike Force member with another being knocked down. Everything with an AOE fires it in my general direction, but some pretty poor scatters mean I don’t lose much, and the Scather template is well out of the way. Everything else moves up to get into position.



I can get 4 charging Infiltrators onto the Battle Engine and so I decide that its well worth the Feat. A fifth gets Scything Touch and runs to engage, and some very good damage rolls mean it is left on only a few boxes. A couple of CRAs from Strike Force later and I’ve removed a big threat. Elara charges the Trancer, using it’s 2” push on destruction to get further back to safety following a Teleport. On the left I clear up 2 of the Alchemists and start to put some damage into the Colossal. My ambushers come on but failings in both my attack order and my dice mean they fail to kill the rocket.



Gearhart’s Feat turn, and it is incredibly potent. I lose all the ambushers, and about two thirds of my other Mage Hunters. I have a lot of work to do, but feel that I probably have enough left to grind the game out. 0-0



Without the defence boosts Rocketmen die pretty quickly, so I am able to clear them out of the zone on the right, scoring it with my Aspis (I would have killed another too, if I’d remembered that Eiryss has Quick Work). I finish off the Colossal with a fully fuelled Siren and take out the objective to take a strong scenario lead. 3-0 to me.



The problem with Assault Troopers is that if they want to get any work done they are incredibly slow and so Mark has to choose between contesting with them but wasting their activation, or only contesting with Rocketmen but having some strong shooting. He chooses the latter, taking out my objective and a handful more Mage Hunters. He can’t contest the left zone though to we move to 4-1.

I simply clear the right zone to win 6-1



VICTORY

I did get a bit lucky taking out the Train on turn 2, but my dice weren’t completely ridiculous. From there I always felt in control, even with Mark’s incredibly strong Feat turn. Sirens under Concentrated Power, Scything Touch and Boundless Charge do so much work, and whilst that is basically Elara’s whole stack, by the mid to late game that’s really all she needs to do. I move to 2-0 in the event, and whilst there are 3 undefeated at this point, the pair down ends up losing the next round, leaving me in the final against John Tavernor.


No comments:

Post a Comment