title

title

Wednesday 15 November 2017

Game 110: Vyros2 vs Gaspy1

Game 110 – Vs James Joynson – Cryx – 11/11/17

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Iron Lich Asphyxious (Scourge of the Broken Coast)
-Slayer
-Slayer
-Deathripper
-Deathripper
Satyxis Raider Captain
Max Satyxis Blood Witches
-Satyxis Blood Hag
Max Satyxis Blood Witches
-Satyxis Blood Hag
Max Satyxis Raiders
-Satyxis Raider Sea Witch
Max Satyxis Raiders
-Satyxis Raider Sea Witch
Satyxis Gunslingers

This weekend was the annual Blood and Oil event, an 82 player Masters event in Leicester. It was the first time I had gone to the event but had heard nothing but good things. I had settled on Issyria/Vyros2/Kaelyssa as my 3 list pair, and the event had taken on the new policy of D&C0. I wasn’t expecting too much from the event, as I haven’t played much since the theme drop, and had no experience of the new Troll changes, so a target of 4-2 (or 4-3 if we went 7 rounds) was the aim.

Round 1 saw me face against James Joynson, a fairly new player at his first major event. He was playing Cryx with a really difficult combination of lists for me to drop against. He had Gaspy1 in Scourge, Gaspy2 in Dark Host and Denny in Fleet, so I didn’t really know where to go. So I settled for my policy from the UK Nationals of “if in doubt, Vyros2”. He picked Gaspy with a whole load of Chain Strike and Feedback and it promised to be a tricky game. I won first turn and the event began.

If in doubt, go first and get as far up the table as possibly. Vyros starts with Synergy from the theme, gives out his Focus to each Griffon, and runs up the table into the rubble. The Griffons all Fleet and run, getting 14” up the table. Imperatus and the Aspises move up keeping close to Vyros, with the support staff following behind.

James runs his forces up (1 Blood Witch unit was held to Ambush) with the Witches centrally and the Raiders on the flanks, both using Whipping Winds as they not get Pathfinder free from the theme. Gaspy just runs up behind, camping all his Focus.

I am awful at remembering to take pictures when an assassination is on the table, and there is a pretty decent one here. Imperatus can get to Gaspy with a single Side-Step, giving him 4 attacks, needing 5s to hit and dice+1 damage (assuming he spends a Focus). The 2 Aspises and a Griffon build up the Synergy Chain and I get the run over with, leaving me plenty of activations to bail myself out if required. After Side-Stepping off a Witch Vyros hit Gaspy with the first 2 attacks, spiking a damage roll and killing him.



VICTORY


Well the 0CP and 10VP aren’t going to do anything for my tie breakers later in the event but starting with a quick one means I could stay fresher than most moving through the event. James just didn’t appreciate the threat of Imperatus, and left me an 88% assassination run. I’m glad I had the change though, as the game could have been a difficult grind against the Satyxis, so was relieved to get off to a quick and successful start.

No comments:

Post a Comment