title

title

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Game 128: Elara2 vs Lylyth1

Game 128 – Vs Mark Ellis – Legion of Everblight – 30/12/17

My list:
Elara, Death’s Shadow (Defenders of Ios)
-Siren
-Siren
-Siren
-Chimera
Houseguard Thane
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Eilish Garrity, the Occultist
Stormfall Archers
House Vyre Electromancers
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters

His List:
Lylyth, Herald of Everblight (Children of the Dragon)
-Succubus
-Azrael
-Zuriel
-Nephilim Bolt Thrower
-Harrier
Annyssa Ryvaal
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Bog Trog Mist Speaker
Craelix, Fang of Everblight
Max Blighted Nyss Raptors
Max Farrow Brigands
-Warlord

A third Legion player in 4 games is a nice chunk of welcome practice into a faction that I’ve historically struggled against. It is also nice to see the Children of the Dragon theme force getting some love now that the character Nephilim beasts are allowed in. Mark is trying to make a Lylyth1 gunline work, and despite Vyros being my standard drop (I’m pretty sure he would be an instant win into this) I wanted to try my slightly reworked Elara2 list. Mark wins first turn and we get moving.

Mark runs his forces up the board. Lylyth doesn’t exactly do much in terms of friendly spells so she simply dumps a load of her Fury and runs into a trench where she will sit for the game. The Raptors and Annyssa take the left flank with the Brigands on the right.



I get my forces up the table but don’t want to walk my Preyed units right into a firing squad. I leave some of his Brigands able to make shots, but ensure that with the Thane and my Feat I can charge anything in the zone. Both Halb units Shield Wall and Elara puts out Scything Touch on a Halberdier



The shooting gallery begins. The Bolt Thrower gets a Critical Knock Down on a Siren, allowing the rest of his forces to easily shoot it, leaving it on just a couple of boxes. Other less powerful shots go into the Halberiers, and by the end of the turn around a dozen of them have been lost, although the one with Scything Touch has been left alive. Despite taking a large chunk out of my forces, Mark only has a few models in the zones, giving me a chance for a huge scenario play



If I clear the zones I can easily move to a 3-0 lead, so Elara Feats and puts out Marked for Death onto the Raptors, before moving to safety behind cover. Nyss shoot into the Raptors with CRAs but only take out the one in the zone, and Stormfalls and Electromancers clear out some of the Brigands. The Halbs on the right charge through and kill all but one pig, before the remaining from the left unit charge Azrael, setting them on fire but doing some good damage. A Siren then charges in and finishes off the beast with a single attack. I score my 3 points to take a dominant 3-0 lead.



The shooting gallery continues. Lylyth feats and her and her army tear into my forces. By the end of the turn all but 1 Nyss are destroyed (Craelix is insanely good. I should have found a way to kill him last turn, lesson learned) the Halberdiers on the left are finished off and between Zuriel’s Assasult and Kill Shot sprays all but two of my Halberdiers on the right are killed. I have lost most of my forces but Mark still has minimal presence in the zones. The score stays at 3-0.



I only have 3 models to destroy to win the game, so I take a moment to ensure I don’t mess it up. The wounded Siren punches the Raptor in the central zone to death before the Chimera runs up into range of the Succubus. Elara casts a Puppet Master boosted Convection into the solo, killing it and freeing up the centre zone. The Halberdier engaging the last pig walks away, surviving the free strike, and the final Siren kills the pig, finishing the game 5-0 on scenario.



VICTORY


I took a real beating in this game, but Mark fell into the issue that many gun lines have of just having no scenario presence, allowing me a route to win the game. Had he killed fewer Halberdiers on the right but got Zuriel into the zone instead my task would have been harder, but I think I could have dealt with it with all my shooting. I like this version of the list with the Stormfalls and Electromancers more than the AFG version, but I still feel it would be better if I just had a third unit of Halberdiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment