title

title

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Game 134: Vyros2 vs Rhyas1

Game 134 – Vs Andy Aleksiewicz – Legion of Everblight – 20/1/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Rhyas, Sigil of Everblight
-Proteus
-Naga Nightlurker
-Seraph
-Zuriel
Throne of Everblight
Throne of Everblight
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
The Forsaken
Ice Witches

Round 2 of the Steamroller put me against Andy from Powerfist who had come up with a couple of clubmates to the event. He had a Legion pair of Rhyas and Lylyth3, and it really didn’t matter what he dropped as it was Vyros2 all the way for me. He went with Rhyas and I was suddenly relieved that I had got a practice game in against her the week before. I won first turn and got going.

I am scared enough of the shooting and magic in Andy’s list to put up Deceleration with Vyros before running all my forces up the table, making sure to threaten the entire zones in case Andy wanted to come into them straight away.



The comparison of Andy’s and my threat ranges is an interesting on, Proteus out threats everything I have, and whilst my Griffons out threat the Thrones, they have to spend 2 focus in terms of Fleet and run to do so. Knowing this Andy holds back a bit, slightly swinging his forces to the right flank. Rapport is put up on Zuriel ready for later turns, and 2 Shepherds are sent forwards to contest the zone.



For as long as I control the 2 zones I don’t feel the need to commit too much, and so back off to wait for a better opportunity. Also Rhyas scares me. Vyros fires a Twister at the 2 Shepherds, killing both before repositioning backwards.



The game remains cagey as Andy attempts to stay out of my threat ranges, but in doing so leaves the left zone uncontested, allowing me to score into a 2-1 lead. Keep going, I promise this gets good soon.



I hatch a plan to take out both Zuriel and Proteus but don’t quite play the turn right. The Magister starts the turn with a Force Bolt pushing Zuriel 3” towards me. I then had to damage Zuriel so that exactly 2 attacks from Imperatus would kill it, allowing me to Side-Step onto Proteus. I built Synergy on the right Throne before sending a Griffon onto Zuriel, but spiked damage and left it too close to death. I was able to change plan and keep Imperatus back, instead sending in an Aspis to finish the beast. Vyros Feats and camps to stay safe. I score 2 uncontested points for a 4-1 lead.



Andy thinks that he has an assassination on, and spends a while working out how to get the battle engines and Proteus into Vyros. Unfortunately he has to kill an Aspis to do it, allowing me to move a model and keep Vyros safe. He still does a lot of damage on the turn, killing an Aspis and 2 Griffons, crippling a third. Feat moves allow me to set up the next turn pretty well, but Andy still closes up to make the score 4-3 by destroying my objective.



With the Feat weathered it is time to start pushing into the game. My remaining Griffons build Synergy and take out the right Throne, before Imperatus goes into Proteus and destroys it. I score the right zone and my own to move to a 6-3 lead and a decent attrition position.



Andy knows that his turn is all about killing Imperatus, and sets about the task with the Seraph and Rhyas, killing the Warjack through Phoenix Protocol. On the left the Throne takes out another Griffon. We both score to go to 7-4.



I have what should be a pretty simple job to win the game on Scenario. Just need to kill the Seraph and Forsaken and contest his zone, but misplay the turn and whilst I kill both models I don’t have a spare model in range to contest his zone, and as a result the turn ends at 9-5.



Because of my mistake the game comes down to a 4 Focus Vyros having to tank Rhyas to the face. Due to being low on time Andy forgets to cast Puppet Master before going in, and misses his charge attack, and Vyros survives on 10 or so boxes.

My remaining Arcanist walks next to Rhyas, before the Artificer Combo Smites it into the caster, knocking her down. Vyros then put her into the dirt.



VICTORY


A really fun close game. I made mistakes as did Andy and that really added to the game. I should have wrapped up the game on scenario a turn before, and had I played the Zuriel turn properly the game would have been over pretty early on. As it was I had to be bailed out by some dice which thankfully went my way. I move to 2-0 in the event, with the other 4 unbeaten factions being Trolls and 3 Legion.

No comments:

Post a Comment