title

title

Friday 11 May 2018

Game 184: Vyros2 vs Siege2


Game 184 – Vs Brett Wilkie – Cygnar – 29/04/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Aspis
-Imperatus
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Colonel Markus “Siege” Brisbane (Gravediggers)
-Rocket Turret
-Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker
-Ironclad
-Ironclad
-Lancer
Captain Maxwell Finn
Trench Buster
Trench Buster
Trencher Master Gunner
Patrol Dog
Max Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
-Captain Jonas Murdoch
Max Trencher Infantry
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Trencher Express Team
Trencher Express Team

The final round of the Leeds Steamroller saw me face fellow England Roses player Brett with his Cygnar. I feel pretty confident with Vyros2 into Cygnar but hadn’t had the opportunity to test into the 2 Fury casters that definitely worried me. Brett did indeed drop Siege 2, and after I won the roll to go first we got moving.

I can’t hold back out of threat range of the Advance Deployed guns so Vyros puts up Deceleration and gets up the table, keeping the Jacks central and ready to swing onto whichever flank offers the most opportunities.



Brett puts Fury onto the Trencher Infantry, before his forces get up the table, keeping out of threat of my Griffons and with everybody Dug In to protect against my fairly minimal shooting. The Warjacks sat behind the infantry and the 2 Express Teams took up a strong shooting position on the left flank.

I have to play a bit of cat and mouse at this stage of the game, staying as safe as possible whilst waiting for Brett to commit. I recast Deceleration and contest all of the zones and move the majority of my force to the right flank to apply heavy pressure on one flank.



The first wave of Cygnar forces come in, with Fury switched over to the Nyss before Siege’s Feat gives them the distance to charge into Griffons, but he slightly under commits to each one and ends up just spreading damage around them. Shots and a charging Trench Buster deal with the Griffon in the left zone, allowing Brett to score and take a 1-0 lead.



My main task this turn is to kill everything that came into me, clearing out a route for Imperatus to get a Side-Step onto the right Ironclad to take it out. I remove the Nyss pretty simply, but I mess up the positioning of Lanyssa preventing Imperatus for getting through. My left Griffon takes out the Trench Buster and a couple of Trenchers before Vyros recasts Deceleration and Feats. I score the right zone to level at 1-1.



The next wave of Cygnar comes in and finishes off some of the Jacks that were damaged the turn before. The Express Teams shoot off some of my support staff giving me a few Feat moves to make Brett’s life as difficult as possible. I lose 2 Griffons this turn but it could have been a lot worse and I feel in a reasonable position with attrition. Brett moves into a 2-1 lead.



Time to continue grinding into the Cygnar forces. I take out most of the rest of the Trencher Infantry and the Ironclad, but I’m not able to get over to the left zone so Brett starts pushing ahead on scenario at 3-2.



Brett’s remaining Warjacks come in and take out 2 more Griffons before the Patrol Dog runs up and contests by right zone, moving the score to 4-2 to Brett.



I try to shoot off the Patrol Dog but miss, allowing it to Dodge out of the zone. Imperatus takes out the second Ironclad but some broken systems on my remaining Jacks mean that I am not able to get over to the Trench Buster and Lancer. Score moves to 5-3.



Brett has a big turn of attrition, taking out Impertus with Siege after applying Grievous Wounds with an Express Team. The Lancer and Trench Buster take out 2 other Jacks leaving me with just an Aspis and Vyros left. The Patrol Dog returns to the zone to move the score to 6-3.



Time for Vyros to get involved. The Arcanist takes out the Trench Buster with a Combo Smite, before Vyros charges in and kills the Lancer before Quick Working off the Express Team. I miss the stupid dog again and it Dodges back out of the zone. The score moves to 7-4, but I am running out of turns to turn it around.



Siege does the pertinent thing and runs away from Vyros, as assassination is really the only way Brett can lose this game. He kills off a few more of my support pieces and contests my zone to lead 8-4.



I have lost the game so just go for some last points, taking out a few last bits and pieces (but not the dog…) before ending my turn and losing 9-4 on scenario.



DEFEAT

I don’t think I need to explain what a good game this was. I thought I was in a good position early in the game but it got away from me along with the scenario game. I think the mistake on T3 with Imperatus really cost me. If I had got him to the Ironclad as I planned I would probably have lost it in return, but would have had a few more Griffons in the tank that could possibly have turned the game. Since this game I have reassessed my Vyros list, and actually dropped Imperatus and an Aspis for 2 Manticores, in order to better control situations like this. I had another Steamroller a week later to test it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment