title

title

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Game 197: Rahn vs Doomy3


Game 197 – Vs Norbert Brunhuber – Trollbloods – 19/05/18

My list:
Adeptis Rahn (Defenders of Ios)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Chimera
-Phoenix
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr

His List:
Hoarluk Doomshaper, Dire Prophet (Storm of the North)
-Scrollbearers
-Trollkin Runebearer
-Pyre Troll
-Mulg the Ancient
-Dire Troll Mauler
-Dire Troll Bomber
-Troll Axer
Northkin Shaman
Min Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
-Stone Scribe Elder
Northkin Fire Eaters
Northkin Fire Eaters

The draw for Round 4 went up and I was delighted to see that I was up against international sensation Norbert, having a break from his Khador to play some Trollbloods. The matchup came down as Doomshaper3 against Rahn, which for a standard Rahn Forges of War list would be a disaster of a matchup due to Implacability but with my more rounded Defenders list I liked my chances. Norbert won the first turn and we got moving.

The Pyre Troll starts things off by setting all 6 Fire Eaters on fire, before they run up the table, taking a very aggressive position. The rest of his forces move up behind with Admonition being put up on Mulg, and the rest of Doomy’s Fury being put into the Stone.



Norbert has probably been a bit too aggressive with his Fire Eaters, as they are within 18” of the AFGs, meaning that a TK and Aim will let them shoot. I manage to remove them all apart from one in the left unit so I spread that unit out to reduce its possible impact as much as possible. Other than that Polarity Shield goes on the right unit (I had to decide before the AFGs shot) and I got up the table as much as I could. Eiryss shot 2 points of damage off the Sorcerer, ideally leaving it within range of a 3 point damage shot next turn.

I took a picture here but it was the blurriest thing I’ve ever seen…

Turns out I didn’t do a great job of placing my Halberdiers, as the remaining Fire Eater is able to charge at an angle and catch 4 of them with its spray, killing them all. Other than that Doomshaper casts Implacability and Feats, making his beasts pretty difficult to damage for a turn.



Due to the Feat I can’t really get work done this turn but I can take an early 2-0 lead on scenario. Eiryss finishes off the Sorcerer, preventing Norbert from scoring, and the left AFG finishes off the Fire Eater. On the right I jam with a few Halberdiers, holding the rest back with the Phoenix. Lynus and Edrea have no real function this game, and so one contests the zone with the other preparing to do so next turn. I take a 2-0 lead.



Doomy himself and the Pyre Troll combine to clear up the Bomber, who then shoots into the Halberdiers, killing a decent number of them. The Mauler then Tramples up and kills a couple more as well as contesting my zone, with Mulg moving up and removing a load of infantry on the left. The Axer (behind the building on the left) kills off Lynus allowing Norbert to score his zone and close to 2-1.



This is the turn where I need to get a lot of work done, preferably removing 2 heavies, but it doesn’t go particularly well. I start the turn by Disruption Bolting the Stone, reducing the Aura to just 4”, before the Phoenix goes into the Mauler, missing a couple of attacks and not doing too much damage. The right Halberdiers Mini-Feat and go in, but don’t finish it off, meaning that the second unit has to send a couple in to get the job done, with others making a start on the Bomber. I choose just to run away from Mulg, as triggering Admonition could well lose me the game at this point. Edrea takes her turn at contesting. I move to a 3-1 lead.



Norbert still has a lot of Fury on the table, and decides that being able to activate the Bomber is more important than Mulg, so the latter Frenzies. We play this wrong as with the target being the AFG it should have just stood still, but we played it as charging at the Fane Knight instead. Norbert kills off a load of Halberdiers and we both score to move to 4-2.



I need to score 3CPs to win, and am pretty confident that I can get it done. Rahn Feats to clear the stone members away from the far flag with Chain Blasts allowing Eiryss to walk up and score it, and the Chimera walks up to contest the far zone. The AFGs and remaining Halberdiers then combine to finish the Bomber and Pyre Troll, allowing me to score the centre zone with a remaining Halberdier to win 7-2 on scenario.



VICTORY

A really fun game against a great opponent, who was really held back by it being such a live scenario. It was interesting the play Rahn without having access to any of his Rahn tricks, but the list has enough to it to just about power through anyway. I was pleased to end the day on 3-1 and got a decent night sleep ready to sim for a good finish the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoyed the game as well. I definitely didn't count on the TK extension of range onto my Fire Eaters the first turn which was a real pity. But as you noted, this is one of the worst scenarios for Trolls to play, particularly against an army that can control so much of the board themselves. Thanks for the nice write-up.

    --Norbert

    ReplyDelete