title

title

Friday 11 May 2018

Game 187: Vyros2 vs Kolgrimma


Game 187 – Vs Tom Wiggins – Trollbloods – 06/05/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Manticore
-Manticore
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Kolgrimma Stonetruth, Winter Witch (Storm of the North)
-Trollkin Runebearer
-Rok
-Dire Troll Mauler
Bog Trog Mist Speaker
Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North
Fell Caller Hero
Min Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
-Northkin Elder
Northkin Fire Eaters
Northkin Fire Eaters
Max Trollkin Champions
-Trollkin Sorcerer
Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears
Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears

Round 3 saw me face against a second Troll player, Tom Wiggins, using Kolgrimma and Madrak1. He opted to drop Kolgrimma, which I don’t entirely agree with, and I dropped Vyros2 again, relieved that the event was D&C0. Tom won the roll to go first and we got moving.

Kolgrimma puts down a single cloud to potentially defend the Fire Eaters before fuelling the Stone and getting up the table. The Fire Eaters take positions of Concealment and Cover in the centre of the table and prepare to attack next turn. The rest of Tom’s forces move up, with the Champions on the left and the battlegroup on the right.

Vyros moves up and puts a fully boosted gun shot into one of the Fire Eaters, taking it out, before putting up Deceleration. The Manticores both move up and put out Covering Fire templates in front of the Fire Eaters. They are unlikely to kill them (needing an 8) but the hope is that they will do a bit of damage so that a Shield attack from a Griffon can finish them off. The rest of my battlegroup move up, being careful not to stray within 14” of the table edge to avoid the Ambushing Bears.



Tom Assaults in with 2 of the Fire Eaters on the right, hoping to take out some support staff, and does remove one of the Arcanists. The rest of his army is out of threat ranges and so runs in to jam me, challenging me to be able to deal enough damage. The Bears Ambush on and run to take good positions for next turn.



Challenge accepted. I hand out a load of Focus and Concentrated Power from my support staff before starting on the Troll units. The Artificer puts in a Combo Smite killing one bear and knocking down the other which is taken out by Vyros who Feats. I take out all of the remaining Fire Eaters before sending a Manticore in to the Mauler, taking it out, and a Griffon and Manticore into the Champions, killing 3 and leaving the others on one box each. I also take out Valka at some point because I hate that guy. We each score our zones but I am in a very good attrition position.



Tom feels that the long game has gone for him and so plans out an assassination run on me, but has forgotten about my feat, and so once he clears out the intervening Aspis Vyros is able to move back out of threat. He switches to an attrition game and takes out 3 lights in total, giving me a couple of Feat moves that get me into a decent position. He scores to take a 2-1 lead.



With only Rok to transfer to I have a pretty good chance of assassination this turn so build up Synergy before taking out the Heavy Beast. Vyros moves up to extend his control range, putting a Twister into Kolgrimma to do a bit of damage, before the Manticore on the right goes in and finishes her off.



VICTORY

Tom was a great sport in what ended up being a pretty brutal game for him. We thought about things that he could have done differently and top of the list was not Ambushing the Bears. Had they started on the table there would have been much more to threaten me bottom of 1 and I would probably have lost a couple of Griffons to them before I got to do my first attacks. I am now at 2-1 going into the final round and an outside chance of a podium finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment