title

title

Wednesday 16 May 2018

Game 192: Rahn vs Kolgrimma


Game 192 – Vs Tom Wiggins – Trollbloods – 15/05/18

My list:
Adeptis Rahn (Defenders of Ios)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Chimera
-Phoenix
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr

His List:
Kolgrimma Stonetruth, Winter Witch (Storm of the North)
-Trollkin Runebearer
-Rok
-Dire Troll Mauler
Bog Trog Mist Speaker
Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North
Fell Caller Hero
Min Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
-Northkin Elder
Northkin Fire Eaters
Northkin Fire Eaters
Max Trollkin Champions
-Trollkin Sorcerer
Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears
Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears

I had the opportunity to get in one more practice game in before going down to Cardiff for the Welsh Masters, and ended up playing against Tom and his Kolgrimma list again, this time with the Rahn list that I tend to feel more comfortable into Trolls with. Tom won the roll to go first and we got moving.

Much to Tom’s disgust he feels that he needs to put some clouds up turn 1 to get far enough up the table, and so can’t fuel the stone as much as he would like. His forces advance under the cloud wall with both Bear units taking up positions to trigger Prowl.



With neither Bear unit Ambushing I have a bit of freedom to spread pretty wide with my Halberdiers, with both units staying in Shield Wall and advancing up. Edrea removes the clouds with a Wind Blast and stays where I thought she was safe, the guns then open up and take out 2 of the Fire Eaters from the left unit.



I hadn’t factored in the extra 1” of movement when trying to keep Edrea safe, and that allowed a Fire Eater from the right unit to get a shot on her, taking her out with its fully boosted attack. Other shots dealt some damage to the Phoenix and Fane Knight, whilst the remaining member of the left unit was freed up by Rok and put a spray into some Halberdiers, killing 3 or so. The rest of Tom’s army got up the table, with a Bear engaging my right AFG.

I feel pretty behind in this game so look at what I can do scenario wise. I hoped to clear my own zone and the left, but some lacklustre dice from the AFGs mean I can’t remove the last Fire Eater and one of the Bears. I do get a lot knocked down though which should reduce what Tom can do back to me next turn. On the right my Halberdiers use their Mini-Feat and charge the Champions, dealing decent damage but ultimately only killing 2. I move into a 1-0 lead.



Guess which idiot forgot that the Fell Caller had Reveille, this guy! The bears all get up and Tom has a really strong attrition turn, taking out most of my right unit of Halberdiers, the Phoenix and my objective, with Kolgrimma Feating on both AFGs to stop them shooting next turn. He scores 3CPs to move into a 3-1 lead.

I have to try pretty hard not to tilt at this point, as I feel that a lot has gone against me in the game, both in my own decisions and some of the dice roll. I try to make the best of it though, and focus on killing the Fell Caller to remove Reveille before Force Hammering some Bears down again. The left AFG runs into the zone in such a position that Rok will struggle to get to it, and the right one moves over to toe the right zone. The left Halberdiers perform admirably, having some decent dice spikes to take out 2 Aspects on Rok. I score the left zone again to close up to 3-2, and was pretty pleased with the turn given the circumstances.



Tom continues with the attrition taking out a load of Halberdiers from both units with Kolgimma’s Sprays. He gets pretty unlucky though and one spray clips the Mauler and rolls the Critical Stationary ruling it out for the turn and preventing it Trampling over to the right AFG. The Champions continue to grind though the Halberdiers on the right and I am really starting to run out of models. Tom scores his own zone to take a 4-2 lead.



I had been hoping for any opportunity in this game and my luck on the Mauler gave me one. Eiryss had to take a Free Strike from the Mist Speaker, but Tom didn’t roll the 9 required, so she managed to get off a Disrupter Bolt into Kolgrimma, stripping her Fury. A Force Hammer from Rahn takes out the 2 blocking Stone members, opening up a lane for the right AFG to shoot Kolgrimma to death.

VICTORY

This game is a real example of the benefits of just sticking in a game even when things are going really badly, as you never know what might happen to turn it around. I thought I had no change midway through this game, but had a good consolidating turn and a small error from Tom opened up my chance for victory. This was a really interesting game and one I expect to see a few times, so really appreciate Tom giving me the game. On to Wales!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your Rahn list. Have you ever tried or toyed with a unit of the new Nyss and a priest in exchange of 1 unit of halbs (maybe just the nyss unit and a souless)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about it, and as it happens I have 2 units of Rysovass on my painting table. I think once you're doing that though it quickly gets to the point where the list might be better with a caster like Kaelyssa

      Delete