title

title

Tuesday 15 May 2018

Game 190: Rahn vs Maelok


Game 190 – Vs Adam Jones – Minions – 12/05/18

My list:
Adeptis Rahn (Defenders of Ios)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Chimera
-Phoenix
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcantrik Force Generator
Arcanist Mechanik
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Max Houseguard Halberdiers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr

His List:
Maelok the Dreadbound (The Blindwater Congregation)
-Gatorman Soul Slave
-Blackhide Wrastler
-Boneswarm
-Boneswarm
-Bull Snapper
-Bone Shrine
-Gatorman Witch Doctor
-Gatorman Witch Doctor
Bog Trog Mist Speaker
Boil Master & Spirit Cauldron
Max Gatorman Posse
-Void Leech
Max Gatorman Posse
-Void Leech
Max Gatorman Posse
Min Bog Trog Ambushers

I have built this Rahn list with medium based infantry in mind, and so far it has proven pretty strong into them (Ogrun, Trolls), but I needed to test into the super beefy Gator version. Adam obliged by dropping it, and with him winning the first turn we got moving.

Maelok puts out Death Pact and Soul Harvester onto the unit in front of the Halberdiers, and boosted by Death Ride from both Witch Doctors the units and battle group run up the table. The Cauldron creates a couple of corpses and puts them on one of the Bone Swarms.



Adam has strayed slightly too forward on the left flank and is in range of 1 aiming and 1 walking AFG. A couple of Momentum and Brutal Damage shots later and three Gators are dead with a fourth knocked down, a decent start. I put up Polarity Shield on one unit of Halberdiers and put them up jut out of threat of the Posse, with a couple placed within Ambush range of the right flank as I’d much prefer the Bog Trogs to appear on that flank.



Adam’s turns start to take a fairly familiar twist as his army stands up, and runs or walks further up the table. Maelok again casts Death Pact and Feats to further increase the Gators’ Armour, and moves the Mist Speaker to the flag, hoping to start scoring next turn.



There is no point committing melee forces to Posse on Maelok’s feat turn so I kill off as many of the Ambushers as possible and continue shooting away with the AFGs. I have a really hot turn of dice and take out a load of Gators, with most of the survivors knocked down. I can’t clear my flag though and Adam scores his for a 1-0 lead.



Adam finally gets to make some attacks this turn, as a few of his Posse and  one of the Bone Swarms move into my lines, killing off a handful of Halberdiers, before the Wrastler Tramples up to buy attacks to clear the right zone which I hadn’t contested enough. He engages the central AFG to force me to spend resources to clear it off, and moves into a 3-0 lead.



I still have the most important parts of my list left alive, but need to start counter-scoring to stop Adam winning on scenario. I clear the left zone with a TK on the Soul Slave and shooting off the other models, do a bit more damage into the remaining Posse, and take out the Wrastler with my Phoenix, but can still only retain parity on scenario, with the score going to 4-1.



Adam only needs to score 2 more CPs to win the game, and with one easily in the bag it is a matter of scoring my flag or the right zone, and as my flag doesn’t require killing a Phoenix he opts for that. Unfortunately, at some point in Adam’s turn he loses track of what he needs to do, and whilst he clears the flag he has activated all the solos that could get to it, and with Maelok hanging out in the middle of the table on no Fury, he concedes.



VICTORY

A tricky game to summarise this as whilst I won the game I didn’t really have any right to, as there were a number of ways that Adam could have finished off the game on his last turn. In hindsight my deployment was probably backwards, as with the Halberdiers on the left I would have been able to contest from behind the building for a few turns, keeping off the scenario pressure. Still I was able to remove Posse pretty effectively, and again first turn would have taken off a lot of the scenario pressure. An interesting game, and plenty to think about afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment