title

title

Friday 11 May 2018

Game 185: Vyros2 vs Grim2


Game 185 – Vs Ste Passey – Trollbloods – 06/05/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Manticore
-Manticore
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Hunters Grim (The Power of Dhunia)
-Muggs & Krump
-Trollkin Runebearer
-Glacier King
-Dire Troll Bomber
-Troll Basher
-Mulg the Ancient
Northkin Shaman
Troll Whelps
Dhunian Knot
Min Krielston Bearer & Stone Scribes
-Northkin Elder
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew


Another Sunday, another Steamroller. This time out it was another North-West WMHUKISS qualifier in Wigan, with 14 players making up a pretty strong field. In preparation for the Welsh I am feeling pretty good about my Rahn list, so brought Vyro2 and Kealyssa, both with a few tweaks, to see how the changes play out. Round 1 aw me up against Ste with his Grim2 list that he had been playing recently. He won the roll to go first but opted to choose sides, so I got moving.

A Glacier King under Grim2 has pretty insane gun threat range but there would be a benefit to tempting him into an early Feat so I move a few lights up into his threat range, casting Deceleration so that any damage will be minimised. I push up further on the left as the Bomber has much less threat.



Ste moves up his forces knowing that I am going to have to move into his threat ranges at some point. Mirage is cast onto Mulg to improve his pretty lacklustre threat range and the melee elements of the army get up into the centre of the table.



I am going to take a round of shooting to the face at some point so I move up into range and recast Deceleration to prepare for it. My left Manticore shoots off the Sorcerer and Vyros puts down a Twister cloud in front of the Bomber to make its life very slightly harder. I get an Arcanist over to the left flag ready to score should Ste not be able to contest.



Ste looks optimistically for an assassination on Vyros but his base stats make it an incredibly long shot so he looks for an attrition play instead. My naturally high armour and ability to spread damage really reduce the impact though, and I end up not losing any Griffons. Mulg and the Basher move up aggressively and will need to be managed on my next turn. We both score our flags to start at 1-1.



Having weathered the ranged attacks it is time to kill off some beasts and take a good attrition position, hopefully scoring a decent number of CPs in the process. I build Synergy on the right before taking out the Basher and sending 2 Concentrated Power Griffons into the Bomber, taking it out. I Keep Vyros back a bit to keep him as safe as possible and take a 4-1 lead on Scenario.



Ste realises that he is too far back and that the Scenario game has got away from him, and so just concentrates on scoring as many points as possible for tie breaks. He kills off 2 Griffons and a couple of support pieces, contesting my scoring elements to at least drag the game out a bit further. To end the turn in essential surrender he walks Grim into his own trap, knocking him down and killing one of his Pyg Friends. The score stays 4-1.



I only need to kill a Gobber and a Whelp to score the CPs needed to win so I concentrate on that before trying to kill off Grim. I build up my Synergy before moving Vryos in, with Ste rolling the 9 required to damage him with the trap and knock him down. I win 6-1 on scenario.



VICTORY

Ste was in a rough situation here as he had a choice between a gunline or a cloud wall to drop into Vyros, and went for the former as it has the assassination potential, which realistically wasn’t ever going to be possible. I didn’t get much of an idea as to how the change in the list made a difference as the Griffons did most of the work, but the few extra gun shots felt pretty useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment