title

title

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Game 195: Vyros2 vs Gaspy1


Game 195 – Vs Quentin Poiraud – Cryx – 19/05/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Manticore
-Manticore
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Iron Lich Asphyxious (Scourge of the Broken Coast)
-Satyxis Blood Priestess
-Barathrum
-Nightwretch
-Nightwretch
Axiara Wraithblade
Satyxis Raider Captain
Severa Blacktide
Saxon Orrik
Min Satyxis Blood Witches
-Blood Hag
Satyxis Gunslingers
Satyxis Gunslingers
Max Satyxis Raiders
-Sea Witch
Max Satyxis Raiders
-Sea Witch

Round 2 of the Welsh Masters saw me paired against a member of the French WTC team with his Cryx. After my trials last night into Gaspy3 I was relieved not to see it within his pairing, and with no Skarre1 I felt pretty comfortable dropping Vyros2 into him. He dropped Gaspy1 with all the Satyxis, and I was immeasurably relieved to have put the 2 Manticores in my list for exactly this type of matchup; time to see if it works in practice. I won the roll to go first and we got moving.

I’ve done this Vyros turn enough times now. All The Griffons get an extra focus from the Arcanist units and Fleet Run up the table, with the Aspis just behind. I put both Manticores on the same flank to be able to properly cover a unit of Satyxis with Covering Fire. Vyros casts Deceleration out of habit and moves up.



Quentin puts up Scything Touch onto the Satyxis Raider Captain before moving up. Both units of Raiders run fast up the table, both using Whipping Winds to protect against any shooting I might put into them. The solos and shooting units fall in behind.



I think Quentin advanced too aggressively on the left flank, and left me an opportunity to take out a decent number of Satyxis. I build Synergy up and spend a bit of time making sure my placement is right, and end up taking 7 out of the left unit and one out of the right, putting Covering Fire in front of the right unit. 8 Satyxis hardly feels like an incredible turn but I felt in a good position afterwards. Vyros Feats, as I’m pretty sure I’m about to lose some Griffons.



I think the amount that I killed in my turn took Quentin by surprise to an extent and he felt that he had to go for the assassination. Barathrum and the remaining Satyxis on the left went in with Feedback and dealt some damage through to Vyros, and the Raider Captain knocked down 2 lights making them easier to hit by the Gunslingers later on. Gaspy himself activates and puts Parasite onto a knocked down Griffon, before putting a Breath of Corruption into Vyros, dealing a decent chunk and leaving him on a single Focus. The gunslingers shoot into the Parasite Griffon with Feedback, leaving Vyros on 4 boxes and a Focus. Quentin starts looking for high numbers on any attacks he has left but can only find one more damage leaving Vyros on 3 boxes. I breathe a sigh of relief.



With Gaspy on no Focus and in range of 2 Griffons this definitely looked like an assassination. It wasn’t as easy as it first looked as I needed to clear out a few bits without getting in my own way, whilst building Synergy and with a lot of broken arms, but I succeed in clearing out the line I need and the first Griffon takes out Gaspy.

VICTORY

It is always satisfying when you change a list to target a specific thing and the changes work. This was by no means an easy game, and Quentin’s assassination could easily have worked, but after the game against Ryan with Rahn a while back it was nice to feel that I was in the game, and even better to be able to close it out. I’ve always said that my first target in an event is to get to 2-0, and so I’ve sorted that. On to round 3 and see who I get next.

No comments:

Post a Comment