title

title

Friday 21 September 2018

Game 261: Vyros2 vs Rasheth


Game 261 – Vs Lukas Neuhauser – Skorne – 15/09/18

My list:
Vryos, Incissar of the Dawnguard (Forges of War)
-Sylys Wyshnaylrr, The Seeker
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon
-Griffon      
-Griffon
-Aspis
-Manticore
-Manticore
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
Arcanist Mechanik
House Shyeel Artificer
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
House Shyeel Arcanists
House Shyeel Arcanists

His List:
Dominar Rasheth (Winds of Death)
-Agonizer
-Basilisk Krea
-Cyclops Raider
-Cyclops Shaman
Siege Animantarax
Siege Animantarax
Extoller Soulward
Extoller Soulward
Mortitheurge Willbreaker
Swamp Gobber Chef
Venator Dakar
Min Paingiver Beast Handlers
Venator Flayer Cannon Crew
Max Venator Reivers
-Officer & Standard Bearer
Min Venator Slingers

Here we go then, my first ever WTC. Round one we are drawn against Germany Walsterben. Not the team we would have chosen this early in the event, but it promised to be a great challenge. The matchup process went pretty well, with us getting some good matchups but the Germans getting to pick tables, meaning that I had to play into Skorne on a pretty open field. We both knew the match would be Vyros2 against Rasheth, and with me winning first turn we got moving.

I’ve learnt in other games against Rasheth that it isn’t worth hanging back out of gun range on turn 1 as it just gives up too much board presence, so everything runs up, with Deceleration put up by Vyros.



Lukas moves up, casts Blood Mark onto one of my Griffons on the right and moves up to start shooting. I probably Shield Guard too much damage, and should have just left the Griffon to die a lot sooner, as with the turtles and Sniped Reivers it did go down pretty comfortably.



I get to feel pretty clever this turn as I cast Lock the Target on the left Turtle, limiting it’s melee threat to 10”. The Manticores and Vyros shoot off the rest of the Slinger unit (this is key to do as quickly as possible, as the list really needs them for contesting and Arcing) and I push up to just outside the 2 turtles’ threats. 2 Griffons go on a flanking move up the left side of the table and Vyros takes cover behind the central building.



Blood Mark is cast onto one of the flanking Griffons, but Lukas can’t get as many shots into it and it survives on a handful of boxes. More shots go into the central mass of jacks, again dealing some chip damage to Force Fields that is starting to add up. We both score our zones to start scoring at 1-1.



I looked at the table at the start of the turn and realised that winning was well within my grasp. The central and right flags were uncontested, and only the Dakar was contesting the left. Manticores went into the objective to destroy it and build Synergy allowing the untouched Griffon on the left to take out the Dakar. Solos ran to flags and I score 5CPs to win 6-1.



VICTORY

I will admit to having felt really nervous in the build up to this game, and my hands were visibly shaking as I played through my last turn. I cannot describe the relief at getting a win on the board at the WTC, knowing that I was capable of playing and winning at this level. The game naturally finished very early in the round, and after reporting the win to my teammates I took myself off for a drink. Unfortunately as the round progressed we couldn’t quite bring it home, with the Germans winning the round 3-2. We were disappointed to lose so early, but knew we had given all we could and lost to a really strong team. After lunch it was time to bounce back and get on the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment